I was once afraid to use coupons! These are the things I would tell myself:
1. I don't like standing in line, or making the cashier scan the coupons in.
2. Using coupons is cheap, or will make me look cheap.
3. I hate coupons, they do not work half of the time.
4. Coupons make me buy items I would not otherwise buy.
5. I always spend more money when I use coupons.
Is this how you feel? If it is here are some tips or a bit of information that might help you overcome your coupon fears.
1. Patience is a virtue, let people who get in line behind you know that you will be using coupons. Make sure they know your order may take a bit longer than a normal transaction to complete, they will move if it is a problem with them. Store cashiers are trained to take coupons, it is part of their job description, some of them enjoy it because they learn where they can go to get savings.
2.Whenever I feel cheap using coupons, I remember it has allowed me to live above my means. In these rough economic times you look very smart when using coupons. Remember that you are putting money in your pocket if you begin to feel self conscious.
3. If a coupon is not expired and you have the item necessary to use the coupon a cashier can manually place the coupon on your transaction. They must put it in as a generic merchandise coupon, but you will save the money. If the cashier refuses and you would like to know why, finish your transaction and take your issue to customer service. Here you can have the coupon scanned in manually and your cash will be returned or save the item too. Sometimes coupons printed online run into this issue.
4.First tip of using coupons is to only clip coupons for items you buy regularly. This way you are saving money on items you would be getting anyway. I carry coupons for items I buy on a regular basis and for items I would like to buy or try only if the price is right. The rest of my coupons I pass on.
5. Make sure to follow the tip above and you will be saving money. Or try combining coupons with store ads.
What are your fears or complaints about using coupons? Can we put them to rest? Please leave them in the comments and let me know. Thanks.